Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Featured Etsy Artist: Courtney Cates

For my first featured artist, I chose a newbie like myself. Courtney Cates is from Fort Deposit, Alabama where she is a full time student as well as a crafter. She has just opened her Etsy shop, BowsEtc09, a couple of weeks ago. I met her on Etsy on the forums and I wanted to help her promote her shop and get her some sales! She makes beautiful hair bows, bow boards, pillowcase dresses and burp cloths. Read on to see how she got started in crafting....


"I got started in crafting when my niece was born. I never could find hairbows that I wanted for her in the stores... they were all too expensive and all the same colors. I had a little experience in crafting already from when I was little. My mom made some hair bows and sewed a little and my dad did a lot of woodwork. I started making hair bows to match my niece's outfits. When I saw that she had too many hair bows, I started making the bow boards."




"Then, this past year I decided I wanted to start trying to sew because I knew I had the talent to do it if I could just get the time. So, I started making the pillowcase dresses. Then, a friend of mine had a baby and I did not know what to get her for a baby shower gift... and that's when I started making the burp cloths. "

Lime Green and Pink Pillowcase Dress


So, I was up to hair bows, hair bow/picture boards, pillowcase dresses, and burp cloths. I also make door bows (for Christmas, etc) and Christmas tree topper bows... and I made my first "real" dress a few weeks ago... by a pattern!! I also make baby blankets and what I call 'tie fleece blankets' and I'm working on trying to make a quilt... we'll see how that one goes! "















All of Courtney's items are made of quality materials and are made to withstand the wear and tear that comes with children. If you need something unique and handmade for a baby shower or for your own baby, head on over to Courtney's shop on Etsy!

No comments: