Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration 2009

What an amazing day! The first African-American president is sworn in to office and I am lucky enough to be alive to witness it. Not only is Barack Obama a minority, he comes from a Muslim background! Now we all know that President Obama himself is not a Muslim, and that's cool. But his father was from Kenya and he came from a Muslim family, so I think that is pretty awesome. I think it just goes to show you that skin color and religion and politics can bring together people, not just divide them. I have always had friends of different faiths and colors. They were mostly Christian, since I grew up in Oklahoma, but never was I once discriminated against. I think a lot of people woulf be surprised at how many people were actually interested and intrigued by our different backgrounds and cultures. And I never felt like I had to hide that part of myself to fit in. Watching the news, you see the entire world celebrating this momentous occasion with the United States. I think that is what is so amazing about this man, how he has given hope and inspiration to millions all over the world. I know that he is not perfect; after all, he's human. But there are some people in this world who have the ability to change people from the inside, and that kind of change can be powerful when multiplied. I pray that God gives him the strength to make good on all his promises and to make this world a better, more hopeful, and less fearful place....not just for us, but for future generations as well.

No comments: